Auto insurance for drivers with DUI
If you had a DUI, you may have experienced an increase in car insurance premiums even from the best car insurance companies. If a driver is found guilty of drunk driving, insurance companies generally consider the driver to be at high risk. Research supports this position. Alcohol-related accidents cause up to $ 44 billion in damage every year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Because drivers with DUIs are considered to be at high risk, insurance companies compensate for this by often charging them higher premiums. This can make it difficult to find cheap car insurance with DUI. The average annual premium for a full coverage auto insurance policy is $ 3,336 per year if you have a DUI in your driving record. If you have a clean driving experience, the average annual cost of full coverage auto insurance is $ 1,674.
How to find the best cheap insurance with DUI
If you have a DUI, your car insurance can be on average more expensive than non-DUI drivers, but there may still be ways to save money. Consider the following options that can help you save on premiums:
- Consolidate your policies: You can often qualify for a discount on multiple policies if you insure multiple products with the same company. When you find the right car insurance company, you may want to consider changing other policies, such as homeowner insurance or life insurance.
- Increase your deductible: Increasing your deductible can help lower your monthly payment, but you will have to pay more out of pocket if you file a claim. If you are increasing your deductible, make sure you can afford the amount you choose.
- Change your habits: Over time, you can often reduce your insurance premium by demonstrating safe driving habits. Three to five years after your last accident or ticket, you may see a decrease in your premium.
- Change your payment method: Many car insurance companies will offer you a discount if you choose paperless billing or automatic payments. You can even get a discount for full payment.
- Come shopping: every insurance company has its own underwriting rules. Some companies will be more willing to insure drivers with DUIs and may have discounts aimed at saving them.
- Contact us and we will find a bunch of options on how to save money for you.